Since I didn’t invest the time to review more than three full albums this year I don’t think it’s right for my top ten to try and dive any deeper than just individual tracks, so what follows is a compendium in that vain. However, like you all, I did crawl the blogosphere such as any good music connoisseur and I’ve taken into consideration what we typically find there: not only entirely new tracks,EPs, or albums, but those deep cuts that resonate as either direct influencers and/or parallels to what’s filling our (my) ears today. One or two or three may just be good ‘ole oldies or re-earthed tracks due to a recent reunion, but still, I’ll argue the preceding point.
As a final preface I’ll add that I’m not branching out much here genre-wise. My taste, my influence.
Hope you like and feel free to add.
1. Deerhunter – Coronado
2. The Morning Benders – All Day All Night
3. Arcade Fire – Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
4. The Walkmen – Blue as Your Blood
5. Johan Blomgren – California Sundown
6. Bob Dylan – Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues (Yesterday, the CBS Studios: Nashville/NYC Outtakes, ’69-’70)
7. Besnard Lakes – Albatross
8. Jerry Jeff Walker – Her Good Loving Grace
9. The National – England
10. Pavement – Range Life